Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Pricing Disputes: You Pay the Lowest Marked Price

By Admin | Last updated on

Ever gotten into a pricing dispute? You know, when a retailer tries to charge you more than the listed price?

Well, just because the computer contains the wrong price, it doesn't mean you need to pay it. In almost every jurisdiction, you are entitled to pay the lowest advertised and/or marked price.

To require you to pay anything more may violate advertising laws and can result in fines from state and local entities.

So what should you do if you are charged the wrong price?

  1. Explain the price discrepancy to the cashier.
  2. If denied, explain the price discrepancy to the manager.
  3. Provide evidence, such as an advertisement, coupon or price tag.
  4. Verify that the evidence matches the item. You may need to compare UPC numbers.
  5. If still overcharged, send evidence and a polite letter to corporate headquarters.

Keep in mind that items may not be wrongly priced, but merely placed in the wrong spot. Customers move things, so you may need to find the actual shelf tag.

However, if an employee failed to update the tag, or failed to change numbers in the pricing gun, you should be entitled to the lower price.

If management refuses to charge you the marked price, you still have another option. Every state, and most counties, have an agency that regulates weights and measures.

These departments often conduct price inspections, and will investigate complaints. It is their job to ensure that retailers are not overcharging.

So the next time you're involved in a pricing dispute, insist that you pay the marked price. If you are forced to pay the wrong price, don't be afraid to complain.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard