2014 at the 7th Cir.: So Many Posner Benchslaps
As part of our ongoing year-in-review series across all of FindLaw's Legal Professional blogs, we decided to take a look back at the 10 most popular posts of the past year in the Seventh Circuit.
What posts were a hit with you, our dear readers? Posner. Posner benchslappings. And sanctions slapped down on unsuspecting parties.
10. 5 Tips: How to Avoid Getting Benchslapped in the 7th Cir.
The Seventh Circuit isn't shy about benchslapping. Back in March, we gave you five tips for avoiding benchslaps -- tips that should be common sense (like being on time) but somehow need repeating.
9. The 'Benchslappy' Seventh Circuit -- A 2014 First Quarter Review
Yes, it happens so often that we could write nothing but bench-slapping posts. This time, it wasn't just Posner, however -- Judge Easterbrook got in on the fun.
8. Grumpy Posner Removes Judge From Case for Grumpiness, Errors
Posner showed no restraint in criticizing this judge's reasoning before reassigning the case on remand. Posner did, however, spare the judge some embarrassment by not calling him out by name (a name which was easily found on the signed district court opinion).
7. Attorney Who Faked Illness to Avoid Oral Argument Is Suspended
An attorney's dumb move and worse excuse leads to harsh words and discipline from both the Seventh Circuit and the disciplinary board.
6. Law Student's Craigslist Ad to Buy Sex Lands Him in Jail. Duh.
The title says it all -- well, almost all: He was seeking to have sex with a minor and ended up negotiating with an undercover cop.
5. Posner Plays With Pro Se Litigant Before Dismissing His Appeal
A comedy of errors starring a plaintiff who botched his case pro se before hiring a lawyer -- who also botched the case in front of a judge who botched the case.
4. Judge Posner Benchslaps a Lady in a Banana Costume
A lady in a banana costume walks into a court repeatedly and frivolously. Then she walks into the appeals court. Posner was not amused.
3. Judge Posner Benchslaps Student Over Lawful Marijuana Search
OK, benchslap might be overstating things a bit here, but this was an interesting case about how far a university can go when policing its own dormitory for drugs.
2. No Discrimination Here: Employee Fired for Sending Disrespectful Emails
It's hard to argue discrimination when you've left a paper trail of insubordinate, disrespectful emails.
1. Judge Posner's Sharp, Uncompromising Rebuke of Wis. Voter ID Law
Posner not only called out the Wisconsin law as a means to reduce participation in elections by certain groups, but he also rebuked his prior decision upholding an Indiana voter ID law.
Got a favorite benchslap from the Seventh Circuit? Tweet us @FindLawLP.
- Sanctions Against Porno Copyright Trolls at Prenda Law Upheld (FindLaw's U.S. Seventh Circuit Blog)
- Above The Law(Suit): $50M Defamation Claim Can Proceed (FindLaw's U.S. Seventh Circuit Blog)
- 5 Things to Be Thankful for in the Seventh Circuit (FindLaw's U.S. Seventh Circuit Blog)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.