Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Jayson Williams Gets An Extra Year in Jail for DWI Charge

By Jason Beahm on August 23, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

And One.

Jayson Williams, Former all-star of the New Jersey Nets pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DWI charge stemming from a January crash. Williams was at nearly two and a half times the legal limit when he drove off the road and hit a tree. The judge sentenced Williams to an additional year behind bars for the charge.

Williams was already serving five years behind bars in the fatal shooting of his chauffeur, Costas Christofi, in 2002, then going to extreme lengths to try to cover it up. He allegedly put the gun in the drivers hands, wiped off the fingerprints, removed his clothes and jumped into his swimming pool. He attorney said that he panicked. His first trial ended with a mistrial on the main charge. Williams eventually pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault and settled a multimillion-dollar wrongful death suit with the family of the driver.

Williams was driving his SUV at around 3 a.m. when he went off a highway exit ramp and across a street near Manhattan's East Village, The Huffington Post reports. "He came within seconds of striking a car that was pulled up to a traffic light," Assistant District Attorney William Beesch said of the night Williams received the DWI charge. Williams was also ordered to pay for the damage to what must have been a very nice tree--$16,600 for its replacement.

Jayson Williams now faces a total of up to six years in prison. However, assuming he is eventually granted parole gets time off for good behavior, he could end up serving around two years total.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard