Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

NFL Plans for 8-Game Season as Backup Plan?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on June 07, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

On the heels of Friday's NFL court hearing in front of the U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, it appears as though there may be a 2011 NFL season after all.

Well, a shortened one at least.

As part of the league's contingency plan, it's been reported that an 8-game season may be in the works.

It would even include a Super Bowl.

The NFL court case has seen a lot of action in the last few days, with a panel of 8th Circuit judges indicating that it already knows how it will decide if the parties fail to settle, reports USA Today.

Presiding Judge Kermit Bye reportedly urged the two sides to come to an agreement, telling them that neither party is likely to be happy with what the court has to say.

It looks as though this is where the league and players are heading, with reports that the U.S. Magistrate Judge presiding over mediation talks cancelled this week's sessions, citing ongoing "settlement discussions" that the parties are conducting on their own.

If this doesn't work out, there are apparently a set of contingency plans in place.

The NFL is reportedly considering a regular season that could potentially be shortened, notes USA Today. An 8-game season would give the two sides another 6 months to settle, and still leave time for playoffs and the Super Bowl.

However, keep in mind that whether the two sides settle the NFL court case before the court makes it decision is irrelevant to the 2011 NFL season. Both sides can still agree to play regardless of what's going on in the dispute.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard