Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Citepad: a Digital Keypad for Lawyers

By William Vogeler, Esq. on May 25, 2017 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Citepad is like a magic wand that floats over your screen and inserts legal terms, symbols, and phrases into documents with the touch of your finger.

It does not turn your computer screen into a touch screen, but you "touch" the Citepad virtual keyboard with your mouse and "Voila."

An innovation from Juristech, it is available by download for as little as $15. Not bad for a magic wand.

Now You See It?

The website offers a screen-shot of the keyboard to preview and it's easy to see how it works. We also tried out a demo of the product to verify that it works as seamlessly as advertised.

The cool thing is, the keypad appears on your screen wherever you place it and it doesn't disappear when you type on your main keyboard or tap your mouse while working in other programs.

Of course, you can minimize or close the Citepad critter. But it stays with the program you have opened for your word processing.

So as I'm typing now, the Citepad is there for me to do this: but see e.g., or supra, or see also. That was one-finger citation, ladies and gentlemen.

Word Out

Now if I switch to Word, I can do the same without blinking. The program knows where I'm going with that next citation symbol. Here are a few more from its list of terms and symbols:

  • §
  • ibid.
  • but cf.

It's a handy tool, but of course it would be nice to have more -- like a paralegal or smart robot to do the research and type that motion.

Or if you want a physical keyboard, rather than a virtual one, LegalBoard is available for $75.

Related Resouces:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard