Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Third Circuit Spreads Holiday Cheer and Filing Extensions

By Robyn Hagan Cain on December 13, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

The holidays are upon us, and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals is doling out presents.

And by presents, we mean filing extensions.

It doesn't matter if you're been naughty or nice this year; there are no lumps of coal in anyone's judicial stockings. If you have a filing deadline that falls on one of the days the court will be closed in the coming weeks, you automatically get extra time.

The Third Circuit will be closed on the following dates:

  • Monday December 24, 2012
  • Tuesday December 25, 2012
  • Monday December 31, 2012
  • Tuesday January 1, 2013

According to an announcement from the appellate court:

Deadlines currently set for December 24, 2012 will automatically be extended to December 26, 2012 and deadlines currently set for Monday December 31, 2012 will automatically be extended to January 2, 2013. Deadlines have not been set for either December 25, 2012 or January 1, 2013 as those dates are federal holidays. The Court's electronic case filing system will be available for filing on any date that the Court is closed.

In you have a court emergency on December 24 or 25, 2012, you should contact the Clerk's Office at 267-299-4934. For emergencies on December 31, 2012 and January 1, 2013, call 267-299-7929.

Congratulations! If you were planning to actually celebrate Christmas or New Year's, you can spend the day working on your court filing instead. The Third Circuit Court of Appeals may take a few days off for work, but we doubt you'll ever take a day off from procrastination.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard