Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Montana Education Laws

Montana's education system is shaped by a series of laws aimed at ensuring that students receive a quality education. These laws cover everything from the running of schools to the rights of students and parents. There are public schools, nonpublic schools, and charter schools. All provide a different educational path for students.

Public schools are a part of local school districts managed by school boards or boards of trustees. Nonpublic schools are independent but must follow certain state regulations. Charter schools offer alternative learning opportunities within the public school system framework. 

Click on the links below to learn more.

Montana's Educational Landscape: At a Glance

The Montana Legislature includes the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Legislature is crucial in creating and passing education-related laws. The county superintendent leads the Office of Public Instruction. This office is tasked with implementing these laws and ensuring school compliance. 

The Board of Public Education sets policies and standards. These policies and standards apply to educational institutions across the state.

Montana education laws mandate school attendance for minors. These laws aim to ensure consistent educational development. School districts are required to provide education programs that meet state standards and include special education services. These laws support student mental health and aim to provide equal educational opportunities for all students.

In Montana, state laws govern enrollment in schools. These laws are codified in the Montana Code Annotated (MCA). The Montana school system offers various options for enrollment. This framework aims to provide families with flexibility. They have the freedom to choose the educational environment that is right for them.

Learn About Montana Education Laws

  • Montana Compulsory Education Laws: This is an overview of Montana's compulsory education laws. These laws require children between the ages of seven and 16 to attend some kind of approved schooling. They must attend school during the school year, which runs from August to May or early June. This can include public school, private schools, or homeschooling. Some exceptions may apply.
  • Montana School Prayer Laws: Access the basics of federal law about faculty leading students in school prayer, which is prohibited. There are some exemptions, such as school prayer that is student-led and initiated.
  • Montana Corporal Punishment Laws: This is a summary of Montana's statute prohibiting the use of corporal punishment. Corporal punishment is the use of physical force as a means of discipline by public school employees. It's important to note that physical restraint is okay when it is reasonable and necessary.
  • Montana School Records Privacy Laws: Read information about Montana law concerning maintaining the privacy of, and restricting access to, school records such as medical records, grades, and disciplinary records. This section also touches on parental rights to access student records.

Getting Legal Help With Montana Education Laws

Navigating the complex world of education law can be challenging. When dealing with specific issues like homeschooling regulations or special education rights, a lawyer can help. 

Lawyers experienced in Montanan education law can help you understand your rights and obligations. They can represent you in disputes, ensure your child receives the best education possible according to state laws and regulations, and help interpret new laws that might affect you or your child.

Consult with an education law attorney in Montana today.

Learn About Montana Education Laws

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options