Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

How To Change Your Name and Gender Marker in Nevada

If you live in Nevada and want to legally change your name or gender marker on your identification documents, you're in luck. Nevada makes the process fairly simple.

Whether you're changing your name due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, there's a process to follow. If you're transgender and want to change your gender marker to match your gender identity, Nevada has a process for that, too.

This article covers how to:

  • Change your name in Nevada
  • Notify other government agencies of your name change
  • Change the gender marker on Nevada ID documents

Identify and Follow the Correct Nevada Legal Name Change Process

Regardless of how you change your name in Nevada, you'll receive documentation verifying your new name. This may be a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. You'll then use this record to update your Social Security card, driver's license, and other vital records. The process you'll need to follow depends on the reason for your name change.


Marriage is the most common time for name changes, and Nevada is a famous wedding destination. Nevada law makes the process simple, whether you're taking your spouse's last name, hyphenating your last name, or using some other configuration for a married name.

Nevada permits couples to change their names when applying for a marriage license. Simply fill in the application form. Once you're married, a state marriage certificate is the only proof you'll need of your name change.

All states permit name changes as part of a marriage certificate. So, whether you're from Reno or simply visiting Las Vegas for the weekend, a Nevada marriage certificate should suffice as proof of your new name wherever you live.


It's also common to change your name after divorce. If you're getting divorced, you can simultaneously change your name to a former name.

Nevada law permits a court to change the name of either party to any former name when granting a divorce. This order will be included in the final divorce decree.

Petition for an Adult Name Change

If you're changing your name for a reason other than marriage or divorce, you'll need to petition to change your name in Nevada court. You may also need to use the petition process if you didn't change your name when getting married or divorced but want a name change after the fact.

To start, you must fill out the petition forms and file them with the local district court. This includes listing your personal information, stating your desired new name, and providing reasons for your requested name change. You'll also need to list any criminal convictions.

Nevada law requires name change applicants to publish a notice in a local newspaper. This must be done once a week for three straight weeks. But this can often be waived by a judge under certain circumstances. You might have to attend a court hearing where a judge will consider the petition.

Some Nevadans will face additional hurdles. The court will consider your record, and you must report past criminal convictions. If you falsely deny having a criminal record, a court will rescind a name change order. You can't change your name for illegal or fraudulent purposes or to avoid lawsuits, debts, liens, or taxes.

Once the court grants your name change, ensure you get certified copies of the order. You'll need these to update other important identity documents.

File the Appropriate Paperwork With Government Agencies

Your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order proves a legal name change. But there are more steps you'll need to take.

First, contact your local Social Security office first to receive a new Social Security card. You'll need to fill out an application for a new Social Security card and provide proof of your legal name change.

If you want to change your gender marker, you can do that simultaneously. Simply indicate your preferred gender designation on the application. The Social Security Administration (SSA) will then update its records and issue you a new Social Security ID card.

Next, you'll want to visit the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for a new driver's license. Make sure you bring legal proof of your name change with you. The DMV will also confirm your name change with the SSA. So, you must change your name with the SSA before going to the DMV.

Changing Your Gender Marker in Nevada

Nevada makes gender marker changes easier than many other states. To change your gender marker on your birth certificate, fill out an Affidavit for Corrections of a Record. This document is available from the Department of Health and Human Services. You'll also need to submit a supplemental affidavit verifying your gender transition from someone other than you. This doesn't need to be completed by a medical professional.

No documentation is needed to change the gender marker on your driver's license in Nevada. Simply indicate your preferred gender designation on your application for a new license. Medical certification of a gender change isn't necessary.

Additionally, Nevada doesn't require that the gender you indicate on your driver's license match the gender on other identification documents. If you identify as nonbinary, you can select "X" as your preferred gender.

Get the Legal Help You Need in Nevada

Most people can change their name or gender marker without hiring an attorney. But getting the right forms and guidance can be time-consuming and problematic. If you feel overwhelmed by the Nevada name or gender marker change process, you don't have to do it alone. Contact an experienced Nevada attorney for help.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options