Wages and Benefits: Resources
Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last reviewed December 18, 2018
Let's face it, the main reason we work at any job is for the wages and benefits offered. Fortunately legal remedies are available if we're denied overtime, paid less than the minimum wage, cheated out of accrued vacation time, or otherwise denied these wages and benefits. FindLaw's Wages and Benefits section contains a plethora of helpful articles, including detailed information about state wage and hour laws, but you also may want to venture elsewhere for additional details.
This section contains links to resources pertaining to wages and benefits, including some from FindLaw. To suggest an item for this section, please contact us.
- Wage and Hour Division, Employment Standards Division, U.S. Department of Labor
- Wage and Hour Division: District Offices
- State Minimum Wages
- State Pay Day Requirements
Interactive Tools from the U.S. Department of Labor
- Fair Labor Standards Act Advisor - Answers questions on the Federal minimum wage, overtime, child labor and record keeping requirements.
- FLSA Coverage and Employment Status Advisor - Helps you determine if you are covered by the FLSA.
- FLSA Hours Worked Advisor - Helps you determine which work-related activities are "hours worked" as defined by the FLSA.
Health Insurance and Paying for Medical Services
- BenefitsCheckUp - A free service from the National Council of the Aging that identifies federal and state assistance programs for older Americans.
- Consumer Guides for Getting and Keeping Health Insurance - From the Georgetown University Health Policy Institute. Guides available for each state and the District of Columbia.
- Benefits.gov - Official government benefits website. Free, confidential tool to help you find government benefits you may be eligible to receive.
- InsureKidsNow.gov - Information on free and low-cost health insurance for infants, children and teens.
- Medicare.gov - Participating Physician Directory - Searchable directory of doctors who accept Medicare assignment.
- Medicaid Consumer Page - Information on state Medicaid programs, eligibility, and benefits.
- Free and Reduced Cost Health Care - Information from the Health Resources and Services Administration about receiving free or reduced cost care under the Hill-Burton program. Includes list of obligated medical facilities.
- Shriner's Hospitals for Children - Shriner's Hospitals for Children is a network of pediatric specialty hospitals, founded by the Shrine, where children under the age of 18 receive excellent medical care absolutely free of charge
Social Security Administration Resources
- Social Security Office Locator
- Organizational Structure of the Social Security Administration
- Information about Your Social Security Statement
- Retirement Planner
- Information for the Self-Employed
- Qualifying and Applying for Disability Benefits
- The Appeals Process
- Social Security Interpreter Services
Social Security Administration Resources in Other Languages
- Seguro Social en Español
Get Legal Help With Your Wages and Benefits Issue
Most people work for much more than just a paycheck -- but when there are problems with pay or benefits, it can cause a world of hurt. If you have additional questions or concerns about your wages or benefits, or need help understanding your Social Security benefits, you may want to speak with an employment lawyers well-versed in those matters.
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.
Contact a qualified employment attorney to make sure your rights are protected.