Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
A Michigan college student has filed suit against a Detroit meat-packing company claiming she developed a severe E. coli infection after eating tainted ground beef.
What's this co-ed's legal beef?
Finals Week Food Poisoning
As reported by NBC News, Rachel Tamminga's lawsuit claims that after eating ground beef manufactured and sold by Wolverine at a Michigan restaurant and one other location, she became severely ill and was diagnosed with an E. coli infection. Tamminga says her symptoms included bloody diarrhea and abdominal pains.
According to the complaint, after spending a night on her bathroom floor, Tamminga left school in the middle of finals week and spent six days in the hospital. Post-release blood tests revealed she was anemic due to blood loss, and the complaint alleges she "continues to suffer from weakness and gastrointestinal discomfort."
E. coli Cases
In Tamminga's case, she is suing Wolverine for one thing -- selling contaminated meat -- but using several different legal theories. That's not uncommon in E. coli and other product liability cases. Usually, these theories include:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has reported that 11 illnesses had been linked to the recalled beef, so there could be similar suits to follow.